Sunday, 10 August 2014

Budget Travel Guide - Egypt, Jordan and Turkey



Safety and Threat Awareness

Isis Militants in East Syria
Budget aside, if you are reading this - you are probably a little apprehensive about traveling to the region. It’s understandable, there is little reliable information regarding safety this far off the beaten path. While swathes of travelers trample over the Western Europe circle, few venture to the land that sits awkwardly somewhere between Europe, Africa and Asia.  

Undoubtedly they have heard the news. With radical Islamic militants seeking to destroy the West, the Middle East cannot be safe they say. While the Middle East has a complex political and religious landscape, these fears are however quite irrational.

The evil eastern ‘boogie men’ were feared long before a disgruntled Saudi oil billionaire flew planes into the twin towers. Your ancestors some 600 years ago also feared the scary eastern men, as the Islamic Ottoman Empire gained a foothold in Europe. Before them the European Crusaders valiantly rode east only to be defeated by Islamic Arabs. Spain and parts of France were also invaded from modern day Morocco. The West has always perceived the threat of the East.

Ottoman Empire 1299-1922
While some of the fears are founded, 90% of it is a false illusion of danger. It seems the terrorists which tragically took the lives of multitudes of Americans during 9/11, set out to instil exactly what they wanted to do, to terrorise us. Fortunately the views of some groups such as Al Qaeda and the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria are not reflective of the views of the Middle Eastern populous, who by and largely stand in polar opposition to such extremism. Many Muslims you will meet in the Middle East will tell you such groups don’t practice true Islam, which above all instils love and respect for other human beings. 

It doesn’t take a genius to avoid Afghanistan, Gaza, Libya, Iraq, Syria and Egypt’s North Sinai, but as anything else is fair game provided you are careful. The key to travelling the region is monitoring news situations and using a high degree of vigilance.
 
  
Budgeting

With the security situation thoroughly covered, the next most imposing questions lean towards the estimated expenditures you may accrue. To be blunt this simply cannot be calculated – it’s going to be a little cheaper than what you might spend in Europe but not a lot. Always expect to pay more than you anticipate, this largely due to the area being far less protecting of consumer rights than Western nations. With more blurry boundaries surrounding consumer rights, you can anticipate blurry prices also. While the locals do it pretty cheap, you’re not a local and won’t be charged like one. Unfortunately your wallet is a target and you are at the total mercy of people who have little to no command of your mother tongue, making price negotiation very difficult.

While the Arab World can be financially uncomfortable in these respects, it does not take more than a few days to acclimatise to the chaos of Middle Eastern business. They key is poker face. No price should be paid in full, including the tours your hotel is offering. Prices are completely negotiable throughout Egypt, Jordan and Turkey and if you’re not paying 2/3 a store attendants, taxi drivers or tour operator’s asking price you aren’t getting your monies worth. If you aren’t happy with a price be prepared to walk away, often at this point a reasonable price will be offered.


Getting Around

Arabic business culture in general can be somewhat chaotic by Western Standards, so when it comes time for Western travellers to travel the Middle East, don’t be expecting to be riding snuggly in your Greyhound/Megabus with your blanket pulled up around your chin. I have travelled Europe, North America, Asia and Australia with ease, the Middle East however is a whole new ball game when it’s time to get out of town and see the sights.
Public Bus in Cairo, Egypt

Generally speaking most Middle Eastern countries (not including Turkey) do not have organised public transport systems or even coach services. Bus services do not have websites and do not even run to schedule but rather just leave at the driver’s discretion/when the bus is full.

The general lack of organisation and the inability to understand Arabic in these situations is a nightmare and should be avoided at all costs. For these reasons it is important that you find a driver that you can trust and will give you reasonable prices. It may take a few crappy taxi rides but you will come across one eventually.

I guess you’re wondering ‘what is a crappy taxi ride?’ In Jordan anyone that owns a car will try and tell you they are a taxi driver. When we arrived at Queen Aliyah International Airport we were offered a taxi ride in a guy’s BMW. We realised he wasn’t a ‘taxi driver’ only when he picked up a friend mid trip, who also wasn’t sure how to find our hotel. Although scary this was actually quite a nice cultural experience as it departed from standard Western taxi etiquette. 

Besides the completely fraudulent ‘taxis’ even yellow cabs in both Egypt and Jordan will offer unreasonable prices and have some questionable business tactics. I was in an aggressive confrontation with a taxi driver in Sharm El Sheik after he short changed by about $30 (I got my money back). A cab driver in Jordan also tried to charge an extra $60 for making a stopover which was on the way to where we were going, having incorrectly assumed I knew nothing about geography. 

The lesson is find a good driver and stick with them. After a few questionable experiences across Egypt and Jordan salvation came in the form of a light skinned Jordanian man in his late 50s named Khaled Abu Sawyfan. Khaled gave us prices which were about 2/3 of what our hotel driver offered. He was also incredibly pleasant and offered us informative facts on the places we visited. If he’s still in the game for when you get around to your trip give him a call, I would highly recommend him. His number is 07 7726 7521.


The Misconception of Westerns and Cultural Sensitivity

Unfortunately most of the people working in tourism in the Middle East see Westerners as a giant dollar sign and will do almost anything to leech your pockets of wads of cash. There is an unreasonable sense that Westerners have absurd amounts of money to spend. But who are they to know I guess, if your only insight into Westerners was a 50 Cent clip you would think the same.

Remember also a minority of people may not feel jaded in giving you inflated prices. We (us westerners) have after all caused thousands of civilian casualties across Afghanistan and Iraq and openly back our Western ally Israel.  
Destroyed Civilian Homes in Gaza, Palestine
 Although it’s not your fault personally, uneducated people in your own country may also view Muslims as a whole as enemies because of the acts of a few. The same goes for the less educated in other regions. Do the right thing and show them respect even if angered about a price hike. The more hospitable you are, less likely he will be to do it to the next tourist.

While cultural sensitivity does not always go both ways, it is important to understand and behave in ways considered moderate, even if just for your own safety. Drinking is forbidden in Islam and while it may be rampant in a place like Sharm El Sheikh, don’t be expected to look kindly upon outside the tourist towns. While parts of Amman, Cairo and most certainly all of Istanbul have a presence of drinkers and party goers, read the situation and determine when a few beverages may or may not be appropriate. In any circumstance however, getting rotten drunk is simply not an option and will offend.

In many cases what you take for granted as appropriate back home may considered incredibly inappropriate over there. Moderate dress is important for both women AND men. It should be encouraged for men not to wear singlets and shorts as this can be offensive to some locals. For women in particular it is also very important to cover up your arms and legs in entirety. Western women are subject to leering and whistling, whether covered or not but it will certainly lessen your attention by being as modest as possible. This is particularly important in traditional areas such as downtown Amman and the Islamic quarter of Cairo. Expect to be followed, yelled at, cat called and possibly even groped if you don’t. 

It is important to note that while Western women have liberal choice in terms of their dress sense, Muslim women sometimes don’t. Unfortunately the liberation of the Western Woman and probably the sexually loaded MTV content reaching Arabic television sets, means that some Arabic men see Western Women as highly promiscuous. Don’t give them anything to work with – dress modestly and you are unlikely to get hassled. 

The Tourist Traps, the Scams and the Con Artists

 The best advice I got was from our guide of Cairo and the Pyramids - ‘Nothing is free, nothing is a gift’. This was invaluable across our trip through Egypt, Jordan and Turkey. If anyone is even talking to you and they aren’t tourists, they want your money.

I generally consider myself a good traveler with a good eye for a scam but it still didn’t save me. I once took a calculated risk at a road stop at the Czech/Poland border and deemed that the guy asking for money wasn’t an official. I sped off and was not followed by any police cars, I found out later this is a common scam in Eastern Europe. I also one called bluff on some thieves in London and refused to give up my phone, who gave up once I stood my ground. But once again my eye for a scam didn’t save my wallet in the Middle East. 

To begin my trip I had my passport stamped at Cairo Airport and was the only one in line at customs waiting for clearance into the domestic section of the airport. I proceeded to the security gate and had my bag scanned. There was no illegal contraband. I complied with the guard to a pat down search as can be standard protocol at airports. Working his way down my sides he eventually reached the square bulge of my wallet and demanded I take it out. “Your bag is fine but I want 400 Egyptian pounds before you clear security” he said sternly. Refusing to give 400 I settled for an amount of 200.I thought a 200 pound note lost was better than having them put drugs in my bag and going to jail. That was the first price I didn’t anticipate.

The scams didn’t stop after customs. Secondly I was lulled into believing that a Bedouin camel herder was innocently just asking me to take a photo next to the camel. I took the photo and next he instructed me to pose with my arm on the camel. After the arm was on, then it was a request to pose with my foot in the harness. Suddenly I’m on a camel half against my will, after he hurriedly called the camel to stand. Suddenly I glanced over my shoulder - my girlfriend was on a camel too. “Its fine, you not British or Russian. I don’t charge” he said. Next thing we are taken to a back alley and demanded $50 before he would safely let my girlfriend off the camel. I had to comply and was incredibly frustrated at myself for the rest of the evening, I found solace in knowing I probably gave $50 to someone that really needed it. It still didn’t excuse his criminal behaviour, but as I said I should have known better, anyone that talks to you just wants your money. 


The Pros, the Things to Do and the Things to See

Despite your wallet sometimes being viewed as endless commodity, the pros far outweigh the cons in this unforgettable region of the world. While I have talked about safety precautions and the endless mobs of scam artists, the Middle East offers a truly culturally enriching and humbling human experience which can’t be missed.

While the political landscape of the region is tumultuous, it is an inspiring region whose inhabitant’s existence revolves around a homemade communal lifestyle of freshly cooked meals, a social close knit family unit and a deep respect for religion. While sophisticated economies exist, the area is not desperately caught in an eternal race against the minute hand as sadly much of our lives in the West are. It is not uncommon to walk the streets after Ramadan and have someone offer you a meal, to shop where there are no real shop keepers just men drinking tea, to see large mobs of children chasing a single soccer ball, or to see someone alone at a Shisha Bar in smoky solitude but totally content. The communal culture certainly made me long for a less culturally alienated existence in my home life, where everyone is a stranger and people do not easily trust those they do not know.

Along with the regions fascinating cultural landscape the areas age can be felt down to its core. The Sumerian Empire, The Babylonian Empire, the Egyptian Empire, The Roman Empire, The Byzantine Empire, The Persian Empire, The Ottoman Empire and the Arab Empire have all at one stage claimed a stake on the region, enriching it with an unmatched antiquity. The area is far older and has far grander ruins than Europe even comes close to. Crusaders castles spot the desert, roman fountains and amphitheatres are abundant, ancient Islamic mosques kiss the skyline, whole Byzantine and Roman towns lay in pristine condition and within a few hundred kilometres of each other two Wonders of the World sit gracefully on opposite sides of the Red Sea.

For a view unblemished by false misrepresentation of Arabs in the media, you must see the area for yourself. It will certainly not disappoint. Here were some of the highlights in my trip along with some photos I took along the way;


Tiran Island, Egypt


Although grossly overpopulated by multitudes of Russian and English tourists, this is the gem of the Red Sea. The Red Sea while being encircled by dry and lifeless desert offers a surreal juxtaposition in the abundance of colour and life drifting beneath the surface. A day trip to Tiran Island from Sharm El Sheikh including lunch will set you back about $35.




Cairo, Egypt


While the media constantly bombards us with news about the revolutions stemming out of Tahir Square, the city feels remarkably safe, even in Tahir Square itself. After coming here only on a day trip I regretted not actually spending a couple of nights. While I probably wouldn’t venture out after dark or into the slums, Cairo deserves a share in your itinerary.  The Islamic Quarter of the city is an ancient and chaotic maelstrom of souks, mosques and beggars and should not be missed. The Egyptian museum and in particular Tutankhamen’s burial treasures are also awe inspiring. The pyramids themselves are the obvious attraction in Cairo, with the Sphinx and the Pyramid of Giza one of the key highlights of the trip. A quick word of warning on camel and horse rides at the Pyramid; the Bedouins here aggressively want everything your wallet can offer. Don’t get on a camel or a horse without agreeing on a price. I visited Cairo on a day trip from Sharm El Sheikh for $220 – I should have stayed overnight instead and got a domestic flight.


Luxor, Egypt


As a whole I enjoyed Luxor more than I did Cairo. The city itself is underwhelming but has a nice tropical flavour with the beginnings of a somewhat African vibe. The key highlights of Luxor are its ancient Egyptian ruins which for the most part are incredibly well preserved and undeniably astounding. I wouldn’t go to Egypt without spending time at the Valley of the Kings, the intricate hieroglyphics and the eerie depths of these burial tombs are an archaeologist’s fantasy. Equally you could also spend hours strolling the Temple of Karnak and the Deir el-Bahri with ruins far older and more beautiful than any ruin I have seen in Europe. A day trip to Luxor cost me $240 from Sharm El Sheikh, in retrospect I should have caught the train down to Luxor from Cairo. Only word of warning for Luxor if you are on a tour – they will undoubtedly take you to either a Papyrus or Perfume shop. If you don’t want anything at the shops be very firm as they are quite aggressive in their sales tactics and will not take no for an answer unless you too are aggressive.


Amman, Jordan


Amman was my favourite city I travelled in the Middle East. While not the most splendorous of cities it’s rich and sometimes challenging cultural differences were a great source of insight into a truly Islamic city. While Cairo has a residing Christian population of 14% almost all Ammonites are Sunni Muslim. The Roman citadel and amphitheatre although being the highlights of the town historically, were not as fascinating as the cultural aspects Amman has to offer. Strolling through souqs, scrambling for food at the end of Ramadan, smoking shisha in Amman’s cafes and getting hassled by shop owners is all part of the fun. A few cafes and restaurants stood out for me here including Hashem in downtown Amman, Green Turtle CafĂ© on Rainbow Street and Sufra on Rainbow Street. As a side note the Taxi drivers in Amman are scam artists and will give you prices almost triple what the locals pay. Agree on a price before your journey and once you find a driver you trust stick with him.


Wadi Mujib, Jordan


One of the lesser known attractions in Jordan Wadi Mujib is a must do. Despite being at first a little hesitant to go I was quickly surprised by how much fun it was clambering through waterfalls and streams, in a small crevasse of fresh water which flows into the Dead Sea. While I didn’t like the Dead Sea (the beach is overpriced and unkempt) I had an immense amount of fun at Mujib. As a stopover on the way back it might be worth asking your driver to stop at Madaba to see the ancient Christian mosaics also. One tip at Mujib, don’t let any local ‘lifeguards’ come with you. This is a scam and they will harass you for a tip at completion of hike. We refused as we had specifically asked not to have a guide. The trip cost us $40 including a stop at Madaba on the way back. Wadi Mujib is difficult finding on Google Maps but its about 10 minutes drive south of Amman Beach on the Dead Sea.


Jerash, Jordan


After extensively visiting Roman ruins in Europe I initially thought Jerash would be underwhelming. Despite not feeling well on the day we visited Jerash, I would probably call the city the best collection of Roman ruins I have ever seen. Although I have not been, my girlfriend described them as better than Ephesus in Turkey. Jerash is an extremely well preserved Roman town which includes a market place, a cobbled road with intact shop fronts, two remarkable gates, two temples and two amphitheatres. It’s rare that you get the opportunity to walk streets once walked by the Emperor Hadrian himself. The trip from Amman to Jerash and having our driver wait for 2 hours cost us $35. 


Petra, Jordan


Petra is the obvious gem of Jordan. I would dare say this Wonder of the World was better than even the Pyramids. This pre Aramaic turned Greek turned Roman city feels like being on Tatooine in Star Wars, as you guide through a hostile looking collection of caves, desert and cliffs. Nestled in the rocks and guarded by a narrow stone crevasse, Petra is breathtakingly remarkable. It is the most astounding piece of archaeology I have witnessed and its beauty trumps any ancient manmade structures I have seen worldwide. Devote a few days to Petra and make sure you take the 800 steps to the monastery. Spanning over several kilometres Petra is not for the faint hearted so make sure you have a fair degree of fitness before trekking up into the stony crags. Entry to Petra cost me $85 on a two day ticket.


Istanbul, Turkey


Unfortunately as you may have picked up I only spent 5 days in Turkey, all of which I spent in Istanbul. While my girlfriend emphasised Cappadocia as the highlight of a previous Turkey trip unfortunately Istanbul is all I had time for. This being said as a city Istanbul did not disappoint in the slightest. Among cities such as Berlin, New York and Barcelona, Istanbul is among my favourite cities and a city I could picture living in. Unlike its other Muslim sister cities of Amman and Cairo, Istanbul has a developed and sophisticated feel which outshines many of its European neighbours. Comparatively only a few 100 kilometres west, Athens feels about half as developed as Istanbul. A definite highlight of Istanbul was the Blue Mosque which I think deserves a spot next to Petra and The Pyramids as a Wonder of the World. As far as religious buildings go I haven’t seen anything more architecturally astounding or as beautifully decorated in its interior. Another great highlight of Istanbul was Topkapi Palace the administrative building of the Ottoman Empire. Airfares from Sharm El Sheikh to Istanbul cost me $200.


Putting the Pieces Together
The Middle East is not what you think it is. With instability in the region and our phobias of terrorism dominating conversation about the area, we as tourists dismiss the area as no go zone. The fact is referring to the Middle East as a hotspot of conflict is like saying the UK is a war zone based on the events affecting East Ukraine. The area is safe as long as you remain vigilant and monitor news headlines you will be fine. As far as tourism goes travelling on a budget is difficult but possible as long as you are willing to haggle to no end. That being said the culturally enriching experience of the Middle East is not to be missed and by far the most interesting portion of the globe I have travelled. If you have a thick skin and can deal with the tourist scams then this is the region is for you, if you don’t go to Europe or the States. If you are brave enough to venture to the region you will unlock yourself to an ancient and communal culture which hosts some of the most truly remarkable human monuments that we as a species have ever created and probably ever will create. For a truly humbling human experience, which leaves you longing for a simpler and more authentic lifestyle, travel to the region and it is guaranteed not disappoint.

1 comment: